I am thinking longingly of the bag of frozen rhubarb that I have in the freezer. A gift last summer from one of my daughter’s friends. I need to use it as the rhubarb season will be here before we know it.
- 6 cups 1 inch pieces of rhubarb or frozen, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar, or more, depending on the tartness of the rhubarb
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Make the filling. In a medium, heavy saucepan, stir together the rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon,water and cornstarch. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil, stirring, 1 minute. Pour into a 9X9X2 baking dish.
- Make the topping. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.Stir in the milk and oil. Work the mixture in the bowl with your hands to make a dough. Pull off pieces of dough, about 2 tablespoons each, and shape into rounds about 2 inches in diameter, and place over the top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden brown, 30 – 35 minutes. Serve warm.