Sunday, March 27, 2011

Italian Cream Cake



I made this cake several times to take to work with me when I was working at the AFB. The colonel requested I make it when he had biggies visiting him. This was not in my job description as I was a lowly supervisor in the records maintenance department at the time. I just found my recipe as I am getting things sorted out to pack or keep for my moving.

Cream together:
•1 stick butter
•1/2 cup oil
•2 cups sugar
•5 egg yolks

Stir 1 teaspoon soda into 1 cup of buttermilk. Add 2 cups of flour alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Add:

•1 teaspoon vanilla
•1 cupshredded coconut
•1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Beat the 5 egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8 inch layer pans. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Icing:

Beat one 8 ounce package cream cheese with 1 stick of butter, add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 box of powdered sugar, and 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Continue beating until spreading consistency is reached. Fill the layers with the icing and around the sides and top. Garnish with coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment