I have posted this recipe on my main blog each Christmas. This recipe is from Naomi’s Home Companion by Naomi Judd. Jim loved to help me make all kinds of cookies at Christmastime.
Naomi says, “These are delicious, festive cookies, almost like tiny, tiny fruitcakes.”
MAKES ABOUT 9 DOZEN
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 box (16 ounces) light brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 cup whiskey
3/4 pound walnuts chopped
3/4 pound pecans chopped
1 box (15 ounces) golden raisins
1 1/4 cups dark raisins
8 ounces each candied red and green cherries, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; grease or use baking spray on several cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until thoroughly mixed.
3. Into another large bowl sift together flour, baking soda and spices.
4. On low speed, beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the whiskey beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in the nuts, raisins and candied cherries.
5. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until set in the center, 10 t0 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly covered containers.
I’m saving a cookie for you Jim.