From the Taste of Heaven Cookbook, First United Methodist Church, O’Fallon, Illinois
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare streusel (below); set aside. Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, milk and egg in large mixer bowl on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 2 minutes, Spread half of the batter in greased 13X9 pan; sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture. Spread remaining batter and top with remaining streusel. Bake until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 – 40 minutes.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons firm margarine or butter
Mix all ingredients till crumbly.
- Blueberry – Add 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Banana – add 2 mashed bananas and a dash of cinnamon
- Orange – substitute 1 cup of orange juice for the milk and add 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Pineapple – after sprinkling with streusel, spread 1 cup well drained pineapple over top
- Raisin – beat 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the batter and stir 1/2 cup raisins into the batter.
~ Kathy Dice ~